NEW YORK, Feb. 4, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Parents magazine today revealed the exclusive findings from its 10 Best Children's Hospitals survey, which provides the most comprehensive family-focused, data-driven comparison of pediatric facilities. The research emphasized treatment success rates, groundbreaking research studies and staff expertise as well experimental cancer studies, average waits of an hour or less in the E.R and innovative support groups for patients and their families.
The results of the extensive survey will appear in the March 2013 issue of Parents on newsstands nationwide on February 12th as well as online at http://www.parents.com/health/doctors/best-childrens-hospitals/.
All surveyed hospitals are members of the National Association of Children's Hospitals and Related Institutions. Hospitals are ranked by Parents editors with input from a team of medical advisors based on their responses to detailed questions in the following areas: survival rates for childhood cancer, pediatric heart disease, and other critical conditions; their experience in performing certain complex procedures; the depth of the research program; safeguards to prevent medical errors; staffing ratios and quality; community outreach; and services that address the emotional needs of families of outpatients and inpatients.
According to the survey, the 10 best pediatric hospitals ranked in order are:
1. The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia 2. Boston Children's Hospital 3. Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center 4. Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, Milwaukee 5. Children's Hospital Colorado, Aurora 6. Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC 7. Texas Children's Hospital, Houston 8. University of Michigan C.S. Mott Children's Hospital, Ann Arbor 9. Nationwide Children's Hospital, Columbus, Ohio 10. Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago
"Making an informed decision about your child's health care can be overwhelming, especially in the face of a serious illness," says Dana Points, editor in chief of Parents. "We created this guide with the hope of making it easier to find a great hospital when you need one most."
In addition to ranking hospitals based on their overall quality, Parents also judged hospitals based on six pediatric specialty areas. The top five ranked hospitals by specialty are:
1. The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia 2. St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, Memphis 3. Cincinnati Children's Medical Center 4. Boston Children's Hospital 5. Texas Children's Hospital, Houston
1. Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, Milwaukee 2. The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia 3. Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center 4. Riley Hospital for Children at Indiana University Health, Indianapolis 5. UH Rainbow Babies & Children's Hospital, Cleveland
1. (tie) Boston Children's Hospital, The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
3. Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center
4. New York-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley/Komansky Children's Hospital, New York City
5. Children's Healthcare of Atlanta
1. Boston Children's Hospital 2. Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center 3. The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia 4. Children's Mercy Hospitals & Clinics, Kansas City, Missouri 5. Rady Children's Hospital--San Diego
1. Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center 2. Boston Children's Hospital 3. The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia 4. Texas Children's Hospital, Houston 5. UH Rainbow Babies & Children's Hospital, Cleveland
1. The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia 2. Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center 3. Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, Milwaukee 4. Boston Children's Hospital 5. Nationwide Children's Hospital, Columbus, Ohio
Parents was founded in 1926 and, along with American Baby, FamilyFun and Ser Padres, makes up The Meredith Parents Network portfolio of parenthood brands. Parents is the leading voice for a community of more than 15 million moms who are engaged and inspired by the brand's trusted content. In turn, these moms enlighten and inspire others by joining ongoing conversations about parenthood via Parents.com as well through Parents' robust presence on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram and Tumblr. Parents is dedicated to engaging and inspiring moms with the information they need, wherever they go.
About Meredith Corporation
Meredith Corporation is the leading media and marketing company serving American women. Meredith features multiple well-known national brands - including Better Homes and Gardens, Parents, Allrecipes.com, Family Circle, Ladies' Home Journal, Fitness, More, American Baby, FamilyFun and EveryDay with Rachael Ray - along with local television brands in fast-growing markets. Meredith is the industry leader in creating content in key consumer interest areas such as home, family, health and wellness and self-development. Meredith uses multiple distribution platforms - including print, television, online, mobile, tablets, and video - to give consumers content they desire and to deliver the messages of its advertising and marketing partners.
Additionally, Meredith uses its many assets to create powerful custom marketing solutions for many of the nation's top brands and companies. Meredith Xcelerated Marketing has significantly added to its capabilities in recent years through the acquisition of cutting-edge companies in digital, mobile, social, healthcare, database, and international marketing. Most recently, Meredith made a strategic investment in London-based Iris Worldwide, a leader in experiential marketing. A hallmark of Meredith's business model and financial profile is its ability to consistently generate substantial free cash flow by leveraging the strength of its multi-platform portfolio. Meredith is committed to increasing Total Shareholder Return through dividend payments, share repurchases and strategic business investments. Meredith has paid a dividend for 64 straight years and increased its dividend for 18 consecutive years.