REDWOOD SHORES, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 01/09/14 -- Oracle (NYSE: ORCL)
As companies in asset-intensive industries grow, they are faced with increased IT requirements and escalating costs. With "do more with less" mandates, IT must look for solutions that can reduce total cost of ownership while optimizing performance. To address these challenges, Alpha Natural Resources turned to the Oracle Exadata Database Machine for a solution that would enable it to optimize the performance of its business critical applications while reducing total IT costs.
- Oracle today announced Alpha Natural Resources is successfully leveraging the Oracle Exadata Database Machine to improve performance and lower total cost of ownership.
- As one of the largest producers of coal in the country and the third largest metallurgical coal supplier in the world, Alpha Natural Resources needed a cost-effective, highly available and scalable IT infrastructure solution that could support its growth.
- After evaluating its internal environment and looking at several alternatives, Alpha Natural Resources decided to switch to Oracle Exadata, determining it was the most cost-effective solution for optimizing its existing Oracle E-Business Suite implementation.
- By replacing its legacy hosted IT infrastructure with Oracle Exadata, Alpha Natural Resources has improved the performance of its Oracle E-Business Suite applications by up to 5-10x for key business functions and reduced the time for payroll execution from more than eight hours down to a matter of minutes.
- Additionally, with Oracle Data Guard data protection software and a secondary replication site, the company has gone from up to three unplanned outages a month to no unplanned downtime since implementation.
- Demonstrating the value of Oracle applications running on Oracle systems, Alpha Natural Resources has already reduced the total cost of ownership of its IT infrastructure by 50 percent, resulting in $1 million dollars of savings and an estimated $3.25 million in savings over the next five years.
- With a legacy of acquisitions, Alpha Natural Resources is equipped with a scalable architecture that will support its future growth using Oracle Exadata.
- "With two to three unplanned outages every month and rising maintenance costs, we needed an IT infrastructure that could support our growth requirements and improve our performance," said Jeff Bauserman, director of ERP development, Alpha Natural Resources. "Since implementing Oracle Exadata, we have reduced our IT costs by 50 percent, experienced significant performance gains and eliminated the unplanned outages. Knowing we have a system designed specifically to optimize our existing software has brought peace of mind and will help us increase the performance of our business."
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (NYSE: ORCL), visit www.oracle.com.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.