REDWOOD SHORES, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 03/25/14 -- Oracle (NYSE: ORCL)
Web and application developers are facing continuing pressure for efficiency and are seeking to adopt the latest standards and advancements in the Java language and platform. To address this need, Oracle has released NetBeans IDE 8.0. The new release allows developers to quickly take advantage of the latest enhancements in Java Platform, Standard Edition (Java SE) 8 and Java Platform, Micro Edition (Java ME) 8. It also provides new features that enable developers to work more efficiently with HTML5.
- Oracle today announced the general availability of NetBeans Integrated Development Environment (IDE) 8.0
- NetBeans IDE 8.0 allows developers to make efficient use of the latest features in Java SE 8, by quickly identifying and converting code to new Java language constructs, such as Lambda Expressions and Java SE 8 Compact Profiles.
- NetBeans IDE is a free, open source IDE available for Windows, Mac, Oracle Solaris, Oracle Linux, and other Linux distributions that enables developers to rapidly create Web, enterprise, desktop and mobile applications for PHP, C/C++ and the Java and HTML5 platforms.
- NetBeans IDE 8.0 is available for download here.
Enhancements Deliver Increased Flexibility and Access to Latest Java Technologies
- With the rich features and extensive range of tools, templates and samples provided in NetBeans IDE 8.0, developers have access to first-class and comprehensive support for the newest Java technologies and enhancements. New features in the NetBeans IDE 8.0 include:
- New Java 8 enhancements:
- Code analyzers and editor enhancements for Profiles, Lambdas, Streams, and Method References.
- Oracle Java SE Embedded 8 support to deploy, run, debug or profile Java SE applications on an embedded device, such as Raspberry Pi, directly from the NetBeans IDE.
- Support for the forthcoming Java ME 8 specification and the upcoming release of Oracle Java ME Embedded 8.
- New HTML5 features:
- Karma test runner integration
- Grunt integration
- Advanced HTML5 development support with live Web preview and Chrome Developer Tools integration
- Support for developing on-device hybrid HTML5 applications for the iOS and Android platforms, with live styling and debugging from native iOS and Android devices
- Enhancements to Java EE support, Java Editor, PHP Editor and the Versioning System.
- "NetBeans IDE 8 delivers best-in-breed development experience for Java SE 8," said Chris Tonas, Vice President, Mobility and Development Tools, Oracle. "Java SE 8 represents a major advancement for the Java community and the release of NetBeans IDE 8.0 ensures that Java developers have the advanced tooling to support their adoption of this new technology."
- "NetBeans 8 is a landmark release. It has always been the tool with the best support for the latest technologies. There is a long list of useful features, but the two that have made the biggest difference to me have been the support for Lambda Expressions for embedded development. It's absolutely magical how the 'Use Lambda Expression' refactoring makes my code so much clearer," said James Gosling, Chief Software Architect at Liquid Robotics. "After having spoken about 'Internet of Things' for decades, I'm thrilled by the extent to which, for ordinary developers, this has been exploding beyond cell phones. NetBeans embedded support makes this development painless, fluid, and fast-paced. Being able to debug a running robot, at sea -- or wherever your robot goes -- from a thousand miles away, is truly life-altering."
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (NYSE: ORCL), visit www.oracle.com.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Blanc & Otus for Oracle