New U.S. Micro Report Analyzes Differences between R2 and e-Stewards®
U.S. Micro Corporation (www.usmicrocorp.com ), a leader in enterprise data security and IT asset disposition (ITAD), partnered with Atlanta-based Cookerly Public Relations (www.cookerly.com ) to develop a report analyzing the key differences between R2 and e-Stewards, the two main ITAD industry certifications. R2 and e-Stewards serve as baseline standards for the proper disposal of IT equipment.
Both certifications seek to maximize the reuse of electronics and standardize environmentally-responsible disposal when devices cannot be refurbished, yet each has attracted criticism for various reasons. For example, some critics say their data security guidelines are inadequate.
The report concluded that while certifications establish important standards for the industry, they do not guarantee that companies adhere to the highest data security and environmental practices. Some certified vendors, for example, use third parties with questionable practices for sensitive tasks such as wiping data and processing e-waste.
“The ITAD industry needs certifications to keep progressing toward more effective data security and environmental practices, but they are not sufficient tests of a company’s processes,” said Jim Kegley, founder, president and CEO of U.S. Micro. “The bottom line is that there is no substitute for thorough due diligence that tests whether an ITAD vendor has the right safeguards in place to protect both sensitive information and the environment.”
To access the comparison report, visit www.usmicrocorp.com  and click on the white paper link.
U.S. Micro Corporation
Since 1995, U.S. Micro Corporation has been a major innovator and leader in enterprise IT data security. Headquartered in Las Vegas, Nev., U.S. Micro serves Fortune 500 companies that demand the highest levels of data security and environmental stewardship. Committed to a 100 percent no landfill policy, the company refurbishes and sells approximately 90 percent of the equipment it processes; the remaining 10 percent is EPA-compliantly recycled at its Next-Generation IT Demanufacturing and Distribution Center in Las Vegas. U.S. Micro is R2, G.R.A.D.E. (Green Recycling Asset Disposal for the Enterprise), ISO 14001:2004 and Payment Card Industry (PCI) certified. It is also a Microsoft Authorized Refurbisher and holds the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants’ (AICPA) Service Organization Controls (SOC) 2, Type II designation.